[Kotahi] Creating customisable Review and Decision forms

Ryan Dix-Peek ryan.dixpeek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:52:36 PST 2022

Hi everyone,

This week we started development on customisable Review and Decision forms.

[image: Form_builder_2.0.png]
*Image above | Review and Decision form components added to the Form
builder. *

Currently, the Review page feedback and Control panel>Workflow Decision
fields are hard-coded. Reviewers are able to submit public feedback to the
author or confidential feedback to the editorial team with a
recommendation; 'Accept', 'Revise' or 'Reject'. Editors are able to submit
feedback to the author in conjunction with a decision of either 'Accept',
'Revise' or 'Reject'.

The Form builder has been utilised to create dynamic and easily editable
submission forms. We'll be applying the same solution to the Review and
Decision components. Soon system administrators will be able to create
Review and/or Decision forms that are tailored to your needs across
both traditional/PRC workflows.

[image: Customised_Review_form_Reviewers_view.png]
*Image above | Wireframe example of a customised Review form. **A reviewer
is able to capture a response against each form field. *

All current form field types will be available in both Review and Decision
form builders; Supplementary Files, AbstractEditor, VisualAbstract, Authors
Input, Links Input, Text Field, Checkbox Group, Select & Radio button Group
options. Along with various advanced settings for 'required fields' or 'DOI
validation' etc.

Capturing of Review and Decsion form data in a structured manner offers an
opportunity for more versatile and innovative publishing actions. With the
added ability to select and send feedback components to select endpoints as
desired.

We are hoping to release this functionality to the repo
<https://gitlab.coko.foundation/kotahi/kotahi> by the end of the month.

On a side note; thanks for your feedback, the polls showed a preference for
an hour between 18:00 - 20:00 UTC (London) / 10:00 - 12:00 PST. An invite
for our next community meeting will go out shortly.

Have a great weekend.

--
*Ryan*

Ryan Dix-Peek