[Kotahi] Storing images and supplementary files using the 'Object Store'

Ryan Dix-Peek ryan.dixpeek at gmail.com
Fri May 20 01:02:16 PDT 2022

Hi everyone,

This week we released our first iteration of the Kotahi 'Object Store'. The
Object Store organises images and supplementary files for access in the Wax
word processor as well as scaling images for export to various endpoints.

On submission; all images inserted into Word documents (JPEG, PNG, SVG,
TIFF, EPS & GIF) will be retained in the original format in the Object
Store. On conversion to HTML, images are converted to "medium" size format
(JPEG or PNG) for access in the Wax word processor <https://waxjs.net/>.
Images will be also accessible in multiple quality formats (size "small",
"medium" and "original") for export to the web, print-ready PDF or JATS XML
(as a zipped file component).

[image: Screenshot 2022-05-20 at 09.39.47.png]
Image above | Image conversion flow

All supplementary files (submission, review and/or decision form
attachments) are stored and accessible for export to a defined endpoint
e.g. Flax  <https://coko.foundation/products.html>(static website builder
and publishing frontend) or Pagedjs <https://pagedjs.org/>.

We are currently working on an Asset Manager which caters for the
management and of image files. You'll be able to use the Asset Manager to
insert images in the Wax word processor after our next release.

[image: asset_manager.png]
Image above | Inserting images in Wax using the Asset Manager

Have a great weekend.

--
*Ryan*

Ryan Dix-Peek